Wednesday, October 28, 2015

"To Julia (For When She Smiles)"

Backdated, archival post

[link to original on tumblr]

---&---

Over on my general music tumblr, I got an ask requesting my transcription of the lyrics to "To Julia for When She Smiles."*  I was missing a few words from my transcription (I work at them piecemeal), but it didn't take too long to finish it.

But because I was looking at the lyrics, I realized that I'd always misunderstood the first line (grammatically misunderstood it).  You have to take the first two lines together to really understand it:  "To Julia for when she smiles / An orchard wind will warm my face."  That "for" is a conjunction, not a preposition.  It's not "To Julia for [the time] when she smiles," but rather "To Julia [because] when she smiles / An orchard wind will warm my face."


*I'm assuming it was related to this blog but got sent over there because I don't have the ask box enabled here.  It's not enabled because I worry about getting inundated with requests for chords or tabs (although it's not like a lot of people follow this blog anyway).  It's a mix of "I'm not super confident in what I've figured out" and the sort-of-snobbish "You'll be a better musician if you figure it out for yourself."  Although lately I've been wondering if I should post some.  It's not like I have the rights to them or anything.