Monday, October 26, 2015

"Don't Cry for Me"

Backdated, archival post

[link to original on tumblr]

---&---

Just over a week ago, I figured out most of the instrument parts for the Beatles' "I'll Be Back" (I have a project like this for the Beatles too, although I'm focusing mostly on A Hard Day's Night for now).  I'm not as convinced of this as some other potential influences, but the first guitar phrase in "I'll Be Back" is fairly similar to the first guitar phrase in "Don't Cry for Me."  The first three notes of "I'll Be Back" arpeggiate an inverted Bsus4, and at the beginning of "Don't Cry for Me" - after a few notes - there's an arpeggiated and inverted Bbsus4 before the verse starts.

After that arpeggiation, the songs go to different chords (even adjusting for key).  "I'll Be Back" goes to A major, and "Don't Cry for Me" goes to F major.  Still, they both start with an inverted sus4 chord.  It's a very slight resemblance, but it's still possible that it's an indication of the Beatles' influence.