Wednesday, September 30, 2015

"Care of Cell 44"

Backdated, archival post

[link to original on tumblr]

---&---

I've been reading Jan Swafford's Beethoven: Anguish and Triumph, and last night I read a section about Beethoven's Fourth Piano Concerto.  Swafford briefly mentions some tritones in the first two movements.  The tritone is also known as the diabolus in musica (the devil in music) because of its dissonance, but Swafford explains that "the implication here is not tragic or demonic but contrarian."

This made me realize that there's a tritone in "Care of Cell 44."  It's the last group of notes in the humming part just before "Feels so good you're coming home soon."  One vocal part has a G, and an-other has a C#, which together make a tritone.

In the past, I've written about elements in "Care of Cell 44" that seem to indicate that there's something off about the relationship that's described (I really need to make a post that compiles them because they're all over the place), and that tritone in the vocal parts is something else I can add to the list.