Sunday, September 20, 2015

"If It Don't Work Out"

Backdated, archival post

[link to original on tumblr]

---&---


I was undecided whether I was going to include the radio broadcasts in my recording the songs on their anniversaries, but it couldn't hurt.  I'll duplicate some, but there are some songs that the Zombies recorded only for radio shows.

Since last time I recorded it, I've done a bit of work in figuring out the guitar parts to "If It Don't Work Out" (or maybe I worked on it for my last recording but didn't include it; I don't remember).  During at least part of the verses there's a repeated figure, but I'm not sure if I have it absolutely correct.  It's an approximation at least.  The part during the bridge I'm pretty confident about, although I may not have the exact rhythm (I sort of think that a guitarists' rhythm is like penmanship: you can't do much to change it; it's just whatever comes naturally).

I used the studio version as a basis for my recording, although I don't think there's really any difference in the parts that I know between the studio version and the live recording.