Monday, September 21, 2015

"Whenever You're Ready"

Backdated, archival post

[link to original on tumblr]

---&---


There are only minor changes between this and the last recording I did.

I learnt the introductory electric piano part a little better.  Last time, I had just single notes, but I think the C (the final note in the phrase) has a G under it.

I'd been playing the guitar part during the first part of the verses in octaves just because I thought it sounded better (and was more fun to play that way).  I think it's that way in the original too.  It sounds like there are octaves in the live version.  In the process of recording this, I realized that there are some newer live versions that I should reference (including the Live at Metropolis Studios version, which I can even reference visually since there's a DVD).

Via The Decca Stereo Anthology version (which is the version I used as a template for this), I discovered that in the transition to the bridge, the guitar doesn't play chords; it doubles the C B A phrase that the bass plays.