Saturday, September 20, 2014

"She's Coming Home"

Backdated, archival post

[link to original on tumblr]

---&---


It turns out I grossly neglected the organ parts in "She's Coming Home."  I thought only the middle part had organ, which is hilariously wrong now that I know otherwise.  I think in some of the beginning parts, it's the same as the backing vocals, but I'd have to listen to both again to compare it.

This isn't the best recording, performance-wise.  My piano playing is mediocre (as always), my organ playing actually has too much legato in some parts, and some of the E major chords on guitar during the middle part are a bit twangy because I accidentally ran my finger into the high E string.  (I improved the accuracy of that part too.  I'd thought those guitar chords were present during the whole middle part, but they're not.)  Also, I think I missed a bass note near the end.

I find it a bit odd that the organ part doesn't copy the whole E D E G A B A# A phrase.  It cuts off after the B.  I'm not sure if that phrase is repeated on organ at the very end either, but I included it anyway.

I took the stereo version of "She's Coming Home" from The Decca Stereo Anthology, split the two channels, and put the right channel in mono in order to hear the organ parts better.  It's still hard to make out some things, but I feel a bit better having corrected my oversight to some degree.