Tuesday, September 16, 2014

"Leave Me Be"

Backdated, archival post

[link to original on tumblr]

---&---


Yester-day I figured out the bass part and some of the organ part for "Leave Me Be."  I just played chords for the organ part because I don't have all of it figured out yet.

I went back and listened to the demo version to see if it would help in figuring out anything, and I realized that the demo version has electric piano where the final version has organ.  It's the same with "Woman" and "Kind of Girl," which were demoed at the same time as the "Leave Me Be" demo and recorded at the same time as the final version of "Leave Me Be."  So apparently, it was between 13 and 31 August 1964 (between recording those demos and recording the final backing tracks) that Rod Argent got his Vox Continental organ.

I might have a bit of the guitar solo wrong too, but I've been playing it that way for at least a year.