Monday, September 1, 2014

"A Love That Never Was"

Backdated, archival post

[link to original on tumblr]

---&---

I've been sort of obsessed with chromatic phrases sneaked into songs lately, and I discovered an-other one last night.  Provided I have the chords correct, there's a chromatic phrase from F# to B in the chords in "A Love That Never Was" - during the "and there is nothing there / no one needs to cry" part.

D major (D, F#, A)

D minor (D, F, A)

A major (A, C#, E)

B major (B, D#, F#)

B minor (B, D, F#)

A major (A, C#, E)

A minor (A, C, E)

E major (E, G#, B)

I'd noticed before that it was a weird chord progression, what with sequential changes from a major to a minor with the same root, but until last night, I'd never noticed that chromatic phrase hidden within the chords.