Tuesday, September 2, 2014

"Kind of Girl"

Backdated, archival post

[link to original on tumblr]

---&---


I finally figured out that part of "Kind of Girl" that I was stuck on.  And it wins the award for weirdest key changes.  Most of the song is in E minor, but the "but more of that another day" part first goes to G major (the relative major) and then - I think - Bb major.  And, like, I don't know all that much about key changes and tonality and such, but it strikes me as a really weird key change.

Also, in thinking about the song, I realized that I'd discovered only part of the interesting thing about the implied E D C B diatonic phrase.  In the introductory part, it's the root of each of the chords, and at the end, it's the root for the first three and then the fifth of the last one.  But during the verses, the chords are Em D C G B.  So that B note is also present as the major third in G major (G, B, D).  As you progress through the song, the B note in the E D C B phrase goes from root (B, D#, F#) to major third (G, B, D) to fifth (E, G, B).  It would be interesting if the bass part includes that diatonic phrase, but I haven't even started trying to learn it yet.  (I'm not sure how well I explained that….)

Since the key changes are so weird, I felt I should do the vocals for this, just to tie it together a bit more.  My voice isn't particularly suited for it though.