Tuesday, July 30, 2024

Encore

I watched the Beatles movie A Hard Day's Night yester-day (partially because this month marks its sixtieth anniversary), and it gave me an opportunity to write about something I'd realized last year but forgot to write about here.

The cover of Argent's Encore shows a number of film strips of various shots of the group playing live:


This is the same basic idea as one scene during the press conference in A Hard Day's Night where a photographer takes multiple pictures of George Harrison as he makes various faces and the movie shows the resulting film strips:


I don't know if this was the intent for Encore, but there's certainly a resemblance between the album cover and this shot in A Hard Day's Night.

When I was thinking about this again yester-day, I realized that the back cover of the Zombies' I Love You album uses this idea, too.  Here's a scan of the CD booklet (in which the back cover of the record sleeve has become the inside back cover), showing the group playing live on a television show in Sweden in November 1966:


According to the liner notes of the CD, this compilation album was originally released only in continental Europe and Japan since "Decca's affiliates in other countries were aware of the band's status and the need for a second long player, but the band apparently lacked the necessary profile at home to be taken seriously by the label."  Because of these circumstances, I doubt that the Zombies themselves had any input in the design of the album cover, but the similarity to the shot in A Hard Day's Night still seems to point to the Beatles' influence.

---
For what it's worth, here's a post about the cover of Begin Here, which also seems to indicate a Beatle influence, and here's an-other post about the front and back covers of I Love You, where I detail some investigation I did on these pictures.