Sunday, February 4, 2024

"Care of Cell 44"

I was thinking about "Care of Cell 44" a couple days ago, and I realized that it has some similarity with the Everly Brothers' "Take a Message to Mary."  Both songs are about someone in prison and a letter or message either to or from that person ("Writing this letter hoping you're OK" in "Care of Cell 44" and the recurring title phrase in "Take a Message to Mary").

While the Everly Brothers did have some influence on the Zombies, I think this similarity is probably a coincidence.  In this interview (starting at ~32:37), Rod Argent talks about how he wrote the song, specifically how it changed as he was writing it:  "I just started out one day with the phrase, and I thought, you know, I started writing a love song really:  'Good morning to you; I hope you're feeling better, baby / Thinking of me while you are far away,' and then I thought, 'Well, why is she far away?' and then I thought, 'Well, let's not do the normal cliché; let's imagine a situation, you know, that's got some, uh, a little bit of bite to it,' and then I just imagined this thing...."  In the Zombie Heaven liner notes, he comments, "There was no inspiration behind it really."  If the Everly Brothers' song was an influence, it seems like it was only a subconscious one.  Still, I thought I'd note it.