Saturday, September 19, 2026

"Tell Me How"

Last week, I listened to the two-albums-on-one-CD reissue of Planes and Never Even Thought in order to mark the fiftieth anniversary of the release of the "When You Close Your Eyes" b/w "Good Guys Don't Always Win" single (although only "Good Guys Don't Always Win" is on Planes), and yester-day, I belatedly had a small realization about the cover of Buddy Holly's "Tell Me How."

"Love" (usually with the possessive "your" attached) appears in every line of the first verse (repeated as the third and fourth verses):
Tell me how to keep your love
You know how I need your love
Tell me how you'll* keep the love within your arms from me
That "your love" is repeated so frequently illustrates its importance for the narrator, emphasizing how "I need your love."

---
*I think it's "you'll" in the first verse but just "you" in the third and fourth.