Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Argent Live at the Paris Theatre, 14 December 1972

I'll probably post about this again in a few months when the fiftieth anniversary rolls around, but I recently discovered a complete recording of Argent's performance at the Paris Theatre.

In March 2018, I found a partial recording ("Be My Lover, Be My Friend," "Sweet Mary," "Hold Your Head Up," and "He's a Dynamo").  Apparently, the original page is gone, but it was re-posted in February last year.

In January 2020, I found an-other partial recording ("Be My Lover, Be My Friend," "Sweet Mary," "I Am the Dance of Ages," and "He's a Dynamo").

Recently, I went looking for that first recording again, and I found the full performance in the related posts.  Here's the set list:
  • "Be My Lover, Be My Friend"
  • "Sweet Mary"
  • "Tragedy"
  • "I Am the Dance of Ages" (with a bit of "Rejoice" as an introduction and a quote of "God Bless Ye Merry, Gentlemen" in the solo)
  • "The Fakir" (including what seems to be the fast, arpeggiated Pianet part from "Pleasure")
  • "Hold Your Head Up"
  • "He's a Dynamo"
The first recording I found was dated simply 1972; the second says 1 July 1972; and the third says 6 January 1973.  I think the actual date is 14 December 1972.  In his Collector's Guide, Greg Russo gives that date along with this set list and this location.

In the audio file itself, Bob Harris explains that "This is the first concert program that they've done for quite some time, and in fact, it's one of our rare opportunities of getting the chance to listen to them live these days 'cause for the next month or so, they'll be going into the studio to put the final touches to their fourth album, which should be released sometime early in February."  According to Russo, Argent's fourth album, In Deep, was released in March 1973 (the 23rd in the U.K. and the 26th in the U.S. and Canada).