Tuesday, October 28, 2014

"I Do Believe"

Backdated, archival post

[link to original on tumblr]

---&---


I figured out the guitar arpeggios that comprise most of "I Do Believe" (although I might have one note wrong in one of them).  Interestingly, they're sort of like the arpeggios in Argent's "Like Honey" in that they're also in A minor and they also contain a descending chromatic phrase (G, F#, F, E).  They're more disjunct though, where those in "Like Honey" are more straightforward.

I also transcribed the lyrics for "I Do Believe" and found some interesting things I hadn't noticed before.  Alliteration in the lines "Hanging hard in the air," "There's a fine mist that's falling," "Late at night shadows falling / Through the shapes of despair." and "As the gold hits the ground."

More interesting is an-other reference to dreams: "From the edge of my dreams," which has a lot of precedent in the classic Zombies songs.  There's also some parallel structure in what I guess is the second half of the second verse (although I suppose it could also be the fourth verse, if the verses go in pairs):
Let it rise in my senses
Let it come to my heart
Let it break its defences
Let it tear them apart
Each pair of lines says pretty much the same thing ("rise in my senses" & "come to my heart" and "break its defences" & "tear them apart") but in different ways.

I also referenced the version on Live at Metropolis Studios, which I think predates the version on Breathe Out, Breathe In (I haven't watched the DVD for awhile, but I think Rod Argent says something about how they're still in the process of recording the album and Jim Rodford calls "I Do Believe" a "brand new Rod Argent song.").  In any case, the line there is "Calling loud and extreme" instead of "Calling sweet and extreme."  I can't be sure about this, but it seems as if they changed that line after the performance on Live at Metropolis Studios.

This is the first song from Breathe Out, Breathe In that I've figured out a part of.