Sunday, January 5, 2014

Odessey and Oracle

Backdated, archival post

[link to original on tumblr]

---&---


I've been working on learning all of the Zombies songs since about 2010, but I really started working on it in earnest in August 2012.  In October last year, I finally got to the point where I know at least one part for each song from Odessey and Oracle (although I know the rejected 'cello part for "A Rose for Emily" better than I know the piano part), so I thought I would post a rough version of what I know of the whole album.

I plan to do this once every year, so that you can hear how much I learn as time goes by.  There are certainly some dead spots that I should fill in.

I first heard this album in January 2009, and it's really weird for me to think about how much I've grown musically since then.  In January 2009, I was a month away from learning how to play guitar - the first instrument I really learned - and now, five years later, I can play through the whole album on various other instruments.