Monday, December 30, 2013

"This Will Be Our Year"

Backdated, archival post

[link to original on tumblr]

---&---

I just tried out a thing with the bass part of "This Will Be Our Year" where I jump octaves after every other note.  I'm pretty sure that Jim Rodford plays it this way on the Live at Metropolis Studios album (I'd have to watch the DVD to be absolutely certain), but I think on the original record, it's just a straight descending chromatic phrase.

Still, I quite like the alternating octave version, and - while I'd have to do a bit of looking to find which ones - I think that sort of octave-jumping descending chromatic figure is in some of the organ works I have by Bach and/or Mendelssohn.  (Incidentally, the versions I have were recorded by Peter Hurford, who was the choirmaster at the St Albans Cathedral Choir while Rod Argent was a choirboy there.)