Friday, June 28, 2013

"This Will Be Our Year"

Backdated, archival post

[link to original on tumblr]

---&---


I was playing bass along with "This Will Be Our Year" yester-day, not particularly trying to play the right notes, but then I realised that I was, and it was super easy.

And then a few hours later, I realised how brilliantly simple the bass part during the verses is.  (That's the only part I know for bass so far.)  The chords are in A major (I think), but the bass part during the verses is chromatic on the twelve-tone scale!  Without those chords, the bass part would sound simple and boring.  It's the combination of the two that's brilliant  I made a chart:


I belatedly realised that C#m is actually C#, E, G#.

The bass part goes straight from A to E without skipping a single note, but all of the notes that it plays are contained within the chords, so it doesn't sound weird.

—

This is just the piano and the bass part for the first half.  (I apologise for playing it too quickly.  I was excited.)  Then it goes into a key change, which I didn't include because I haven't practised it at all.  I also do the final piano part, but since I didn't do the key change, it's half a tone too low.  Also, it's purposely mixed weird in order to make it easier to hear the twelve-tone chromaticism of the bass part.

A further also:  this is the piece that taught me how to roll chords.